- Michele Gazzola is Lecturer in Public Policy and Administration at the School of Applied Social and Policy Sciences at the University of Ulster (where he co-directs the Centre for Public Administration), and currently visiting reseach fellow at Pompeu Fabra University in Barcelona (May-August 2022). He holds a PhD in Multilingual Communication Management (University of Geneva), a Master of Science in Economics (University of York, UK) and a Bachelor degree in Public Administration and International Institutions Management (University "L. Bocconi", Milan).
- He has an interdisciplinary research profile
focused on the analysis and evaluation of language policy, and on the study
of the economic and social aspects of multilingualism. He is the author of
about 80 scientific publications, and he has given
numerous presentations at scientific and institutional conferences in several
- He worked as research fellow at Humboldt University of Berlin, and the University of Leipzig, the Institute for Ethnic Studies in Ljubljana, and as research assistant at the University of Geneva. He has been an adjunct lecturer at the University of Lugano, and visiting research fellow at the University of Ottawa. He took part to two large integrated European research projects, namely, “Mobility and Inclusion in a Multilingual Europe” (MIME) and “Language dynamics and management of diversity” (DYLAN). His research projects have been funded by the Swiss national science foundation, the European Commission (Marie Curie Intra-European Fellowship), Esperantic Studies Foundation, and by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).
- He wrote advisory reports for the European Parliament, the Swiss Confederation, the Authority for Linguistic Minorities of the Autonomous Province of Trento, the Regional Agency for the Friulian Language (ARLEF), the Provincial Institute for Educational Research and Experimentation of Trento (IPRASE), the University of Florence, and for the European Centre for Minority Issues (ECMI). He is editor of the journal Language Problems & Language Planning.
- He is a member of the board of the Italian Language Policy
Study Group (GSPL) of the Italian Linguistics Society, and of the board of the
Centre for Research and Documentation on World Language Problems (CED) of the
Universala Esperanto-Asocio. He is a member of the International Political
Science Association, the Political Studies Association, and the Italian Linguistics Society. He co-founded
the international network “Economics and Language” (REAL), and he is currently external collaborator of the Institute for Ethnic Studies in Ljubljana (INV), the Economics-Languages-Education
Research Group at the University of Geneva (ELF), and the Language Management
Interdisciplinary Research Group (GRIGL) at the University of Ottawa.
He is present in the public debate with articles and interviews in several newspapers, including Corriere della Sera and The Times Higher Education.
- Download here the complete CV and the list of publications, or visit the rest of my website.